music

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

The Hobbit

A most fabulous recent acquisition is the audio book of the Hobbit read by none other than Nichol Williamson. Who? One may ask. None other than Merlin himself, from Excalibur. It is spellbinding and the narration is excellent. I should highly recommend this. It comes from a vinyl recording with harps and mystic tunes and riddles aplenty throughout. I shall be so sad when it is finished.

Israel? Oh dear.They really are looking for a kicking, aren't they. I wouldn't be surprised if the Arab states overran their country and stuck their sorry heads on poles all the way to Jerusalem. And what a mess it leaves their helper the good old US in trying to support it.

And on the other side lies China waiting for a move against North Korea. As i said to Tom the other night. USA seems to have overplayed their hand. And they have a lot of cleaning up to do in the Deep South to boot.

Just watched the first part of Micheal Palin's Full Circle where he heads to that old favourate state from Risk, Camchatka. When he joins the Naval band for the Russian tunes was hilarious.Only 17 parts to go.

Oi is making her recovery and Grandma is doing an excellent support job. Young Grace is getting used to having Grandma around, though she has been screaming the house down at bathtime.

The rain has come but the temperature is yet to drop and, like a whoose I have been hiding in the air-con room with TV and computers. Not a good thing.

But these audio books I like a lot and I think I shall take a leaf out of Stephen Fry's book of wisdom and do my walks through the plantation accompanied by the lilting voice of some old duffer reading me a story. On these occasions I hate the passing motorcars even more than ever. And despair at the Thais as they zoom past at breakneck speeds.

I came home today and found some fucker had lean over our garden wall and stuck a bird trap in our Pomelo tree. I was furious. Luckily, he removed it before to long. It saddens me so. One of these lovely creatures can fetch a thousand Baht, Oi advised me. I reminded her that Thailand is devoid of any animal life, discounting rats, cats, dogs and snakes. All the rest ended up in the cooking pot. I suggested the King should protect the animals as the Queen does the swans. But what is the use. Had I approached this cheeky bird trapper, he could easily have done something very nasty to me, as often is the way here if you involve yourself in their business.

I won't talk about having to stop Patrick shouting at the neighbour when he heard her beating one of her dogs.

No comments: