music

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Grandma

Grandma is in town and it was really funny Grace getting reacquainted with someone she thought she knew but couldn't quite place. It has been over two months since Gran last came to visit so Grace was a little perplexed, but later Grandma is the best thing in the house. It's great. It takes a lot of pressure of Oi and me to have a little breathing space. I can lock myself away blasting things in Doom 3 and Oi can have chats with her mum and take a rest.

I bought Grace a new toy today. The place where I have to pay the rent every month is near the school supply shop, so I decided it would be cool to get Grace a new toy every month, especially as I am flush at that time. They have tons of everything, including some pretty good cheap toys as I have discovered. Today I got her a pull along truck made of wood with shapes and cut outs in the roof. So the kid has to push the shapes through the holes. It's good quality too, and she loves it.

Having successfully blasted my way through the excellent Singularity, I have now gone back to an unplayed classic; Doom 3. I am mightily impressed. Horribly dark and clutching a torch most of the way through, one descends deeper and deeper into a mining colony on Mars that appears to have been possessed by some demonic monsters. A tad dated but a truly gripping trip and very compelling story. One reads and listens to audiologs of bored mining employees complaining about the faulty lifts and excess of chainsaws supplied by mistake, only to find their dismembered body shortly after. And yes, this is the generation of games that introduced the infamous chainsaw. And I think I am pretty correct when I say that Doom was the first FPS (First Person Shooter - to the uninitiated)

Glad to have recovered from my horrible sickness. It was like being 80 for a day or being turned into a golem of wood. One pill and it was gone. Indeed I was thanking modern medicine.

I did my forest walk today which was good.

I love the Maisy books for the kids. Actually I was contemplating making a book especially for my kids with, "Tom and Jim Go Camping" as I have just been teaching about Nature. Let's see if I can do it!

No comments: