music

Friday, July 30, 2010

Starcraft 2 and music review

Worth mentioning, as it took me a few goes to suss out the crack, but I now have the just released Starcraft 2 up and running. I now Peter was a keen player back in the bunker, so this may be of mild interest to him. It looks okay, but I think I prefer Nepoleon.

The onslaught againt the virus is gathering pace. Even Utube as clips on how to kill mucus on the lungs. It is reassuring to know that there is a lot of help out there.

I have increased my dosage of ginger and, when I felt I was slacking off on the treatment, I put the pressure back on. I am determined to kill this bastard as meanly as possible.

I have since read that rice and bread are both to be avoided, and heavily salted chicken soup is a, and I quote, mucusbuster. After no beer for more than a week, I did allow myself two small cans of Guinness. Well, it is Friday!

Hoping to see Tom tomorrow night as I just acquired Neil Young's Rust Never Sleeps tour of 1975 (I think) complete with Star Wars Jawas setting up the stage and dragging him off in a makeshift bed at the end of Hey Hey My My. Awesome. Am hoping to nail this on the guitar as it will go well with Sweet Virginia and my handful of other songs.

Following this, I did a search for best Van Morrison albums. I was still using the list that Stuart Barrett gave me back in 1989, namely;

1. Moondance
2. Into the Music
3. Astral Weeks
4 Common One

I still really enjoy these albums to this day, though Moondance and Astral Weeks have suffered from overplay, Into the Music and Common One still have me in their grasp.

Added to this was my brother's recommendation of Blowin' Yer Mind, which is classic, if only for TB Sheets.

After a quick search I have now upgraded this to include;

Tupelo Honey, Veedon Fleece, St. Dominic's Preview.

Here's hoping for some good sounds.

Also, thanking Joe Luden for Prince Buster King of Ska.

Other noted recent acquisitions include; Bert Jansch's Nicola, Santana's Caravanserai (strongly backed by Tom), Death In Vegas (everything).

There is a whole bunch of other very cool albums I have liked for sometime now including Kathleen Edwards, Taj Mahal, Joan Armatrading, The Zombies and following on from my recent Stones revival that has extended to some Beatles albums I wasn't so familar with or hadn't heard in a long time.

Enjoy to whet your ears...

2 comments:

Joel Uden said...

You're welcome Jimmothy. Prince Buster was a very bad man. Check out Judge Dread from 1967. "HUSH UP! Tek four 'undred year!":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUWpovcGjQ0

And:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3LERNZlQjc&feature=related

"Ya pik 'im up n lik 'im down, 'im bounce right bak!"

Great trumpet solo. Love it. Gives me sunshine. Also the original of one of my favourite Specials covers by Toots and the Maytals:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Wf0yKzpGAY

Also from 1969 Harry J and the Allstars - Liquidator, with one of the funniest/oddest video accompaniments:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRp75slMFII

Now for a different twist, a very old soulful 'Fisherman' from The Congos for brother Peter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JhTM0Lar3Q&feature=related

And finally just because Al's voice melts my heart, blub:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COiIC3A0ROM

The Dangerous J said...

Tanks, Joel. I shall look forward to viewing these treasures. I really love The Liquidator. A fantastic riff and a huge organ, if that's what it is.

I am going to listen to The Bodysnatchers too.