music

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Kakapo

Sunday night and back to school tomorrow, aswell as my trip to the cop shop to get my wrist slapped and a hefty fine. That will leave us with just under 1000 baht to live on for the next week, unless I withdraw from my UK account. Still, maybe this will force me to remember to go to the pig shop next time. I even installed an onscreen calendar to try to help me to remember.

have just finished watching one of Fry's Last Chance to See shows on the incredibly cuddly flightless green parrots of New Zealand, the Kakapo. Yes, this species was all over mainland NZ a while back, but along came Man and his friends the cat and the rat and wiped them all out, bar 40. Now these fluffy balls of fun live on an island with a dedicated team of volunteers attempting to ensure their survival. They now stand at 133. Let's hope they are okay.

I started to play scales on the xylophone today, to instill some engrained channels into my brain. I alternated the mallets as best I could and hammered out Major G and D scales. It's a lot easier than guitar to remember the scales. Almost immediately I can recall how many sharps and flats. With guitar, I still didn't have a clue and would have to sit there working it out on the fretboard. There are some wiz players on Utube and it is a very fun instrument. I think I will enjoy it a lot.

I also tackled the garden today which I have been delaying as the ground is so soggy in the wet season, but it was on the verge of returning to jungle, so I thought I had best get in there. Did a swell job and brought it back to former glory.

Danny is back from Australia now for a space but will soon return, never to call Hat Yai his home again. A touch sad as him and Don have both recently departed, literally halving the number of friends I have. I shall have to hang about in the cheap bars and pick up some new friends.

Last call for In the Night Garden before Grace attempts to go to sleep...


No comments: