music

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Stalin's Neuroplasm

Right now I have been developing my creative thought. I have been listening to many podcasts about all sorts of subjects, especially science. I have also been getting into these great meditation podcasts available here. They are amazing and I really enjoy lying down listening to the soothing voices and twittering of birds and gentle lapping of waves.

http://www.themeditationpodcast.com/download.php

I have suddenly become very aware of my ability to think and develop ideas. I recently bought a laminator and have been reeling out all sorts of card games to use in teaching lessons.

Also, on one of Dr. Karl's podcasts there is an American scientist talking about recent developments in understanding the human brain, and the old theory of different areas of the brain storing and processing different abilities and functions, and the new theory of neuroplasm which is similar to a moving adapting mass that travels to various parts of the brain as it is needed. Thus when a person loses a limb, that part of the brain does not become redundant, rather that the wobbly mass of neuroplasm moves off to develop and process other functions and areas. Give it a listen if you can find the podcast.

In my various areas of research and teaching, I am studying survival (desert islands etc.) with my teenage class. I will be getting them to read a few brief true survival stories and set them the task of what 3 items they would take with them as a presentation. Also, I have been watching Cast Away (Tom Hanks) and hope to show them the island part of that movie.

Whilst traveling along this line of research I stumbled upon William Golding and "Lord of the Flies", of course. I check him out and found this great quote;

"Man produces evil as a bee produces honey."

I also happened to notice they (who is they?) are making a pic of "The Spire" which I read when I was about 16. A kind of pervy medieval tale based around the construction of a cathedral (presumably Salisbury, if the little beans serve).

On top of this I am discovering as yet undiscovered survival movies and stories.

I am doing rather well on the swim front at the mo. Averaging every other day of 40 lengths (don't ask me how long the pool is, just so long) and aquiring a healthy dose of vitamin A and a tan.

I think the 'orrible old age thing is catching on, where I am pursuing crazied ideas in the early hours and concocting all sorts of plans.

It remains me of Jonathan Snowdon's trip to Spain after refusing to leave England for decades. His wife finally got him to head to the sun. He described to me how he would read this very thick book about Stalin by the pool in the scorching heat. He would decipher the tome for a couple of hours under the blazing sun. After he was suitably heated, sweat pouring of his hairy body and his brain bursting with heavy facts about communism and the soviet bloc, he would rise up from his deck chair and dive headfirst into freezing water, nullifying his overheated, trobbing cerebellum. After a session of reducing his body heat, he would emerge from the water refreshed and repeat the exercise. I think this routine carried on for the duration of the holiday much to his wife's despair.




1 comment:

Robert said...

Am doing a summer camp in August at the beach!! And so your ideas for a topic interest me greatly.