music

Monday, April 23, 2012

Weight

Just back from my morning swim that I do after I drop Grace off at nursery. I remembered they had a pretty cool set of scales (interesting group term) so popped into check myself. I weigh 88.5 kilos. When I had the back problems back around Christmas time, I was 93 kilos when they checked me at the hospital. So, that's a great improvement and I'm still only at the start of this project.

Every day I take a scenic back road ride to Makro, a cash and carry type supermarket, and stock up on ingredients for the mean green juice. I am also very keen to keep costs to a complete minimum. Believe me, if I could juice the stuff I find growing in the jungle, I would. Alas Oi informed me that it is not edible, however I am pushing Oi, who has been a great support on this project, to start growing Kale in the garden. Damn it, what's the point in growing flowers when we can grow vegetables to juice? Actually the soil here is awful clay which is no good for anything, and Hat Yai is just an ever growing building site. Just on my ride into town I pass about 5 or 6 major construction sites. So sad. I am putting a plan together to move to Chum Pon next March and get back to Nature.

Lordy, I was idly reading Stephen Fry's tweets yesterday. Jeepers, talk about raging jealousy. Flying back to London from the tearful farewell party of the filming of The Hobbit. Then straight on to New York for something else. I don't envy the flying part though. Hoping he has some cool new shows to watch coming out soon. I liked his docu on words the other month.

Patrick is going stir crazy in his little flat in town. Tom is in the Phillipines. Don is back up North.

Grace is very happy and wants to go swimming every day. Actually last night, and for the first time, she was watching "Pingu" on Utube and was laughing at the show by herself. We both noticed. Oi is fine and things here have been very peaceful and calm.

I don't actually have a job at the moment, as I am refusing to go back to Thida next term and they haven't offered me anything else yet. It ain't that long to go (cripes!), so I hope to hear something soon, or else we could be moving to Chum Pon sooner than I thought.

Talking of Chum Pon, if and when we do get there we have a wonderful choice of both coasts to visit, as it lies at the thinnest point of the country. Koh Chang in Ranong on one side and Koh Phang Nang on the other. And some great mountains, lakes and jungle inbetween.

Gamewise, it's Stronghold Kingdoms and Wolrd of Tanks, both free online games and great fun.

Not much TV or movies. Game of Thrones season 2 remains unwatched, and a bit of a dry patch for movies.

Had a little Guinness and some King Robert II whiskey (290 baht for a litre!). Hot toddies at night and some blasting in my IS-3 Russian tank.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Improve soil but starting a composter. All you need is some small mesh chicken wire in a one and a half meter diameter, tall to keep out rats. Non-meat kitchen waste goes in there and converts to compost.
Build a raised bed, again to deter pests, dig in some compost (try carrefour for now) and get sowing. Modern techniques recommend mixing veggies with flowers as the flowers attack wasps that wipe out nasties.
Kale is an excellent choice.
Also recommend buying veggies from local markets, smallholders etc as will be better quality.