music

Monday, May 17, 2010

The Tolling of the Old School Bells

Several things to report.

Just acquired the new release of Exile On Main Street with 10 lost tracks.

Back to school this morning and it went pretty well. Doing Kindergarten 1,2 & 3. Good fun and everyone enjoyed it and paid attention.

This week's movie has to go to one Don showed me; The Missouri Breaks with Jack Nicholson and Marlon Brando is a horse rustling Western. The only person who could make Jack look sane is Brando, and at this he excels. Marlon is truly mad as a nut. There's one bit when he is getting into bed talking to his invisible grandmother. I nearly pooed myself with laughter. A great plot in this movie too. Randy Quaid is excellent as one of the henchmen.

Alice in Wonderland on the other hand was great to look at but very stale, I thought. I groaned when a giant CGI dog-like thing appeared and started the usual charge through the forest routine. Stephen Fry was very tame as the Cheshire Cat. Johnny Depp good, I suppose, but a bit flat, like his Charlie and the Chocolate Factory role.

Patrick very kindly phoned me from sunny Koh Phang Ngan where he went with Tom for a few days. He was in a beachy book shop and found many interesting reads, of which I asked for four. Namely, One on Michael Caine, one on Peter Ustinov, one on David Niven and best of all and I am reading it first, one on John Peel. So I am very grateful for those. Those book shop for the traveller are mostly excellent. I picked up Siddhartha by Herman Hesse in one such shop in Trang years ago Cannery Row and Of Mice and Men at some other point in time. I am sure Peter knows of what I speak.

Grace is more of a little girl and not so much of a baby now. She has been very happy these last few days and Oi can always make her laugh. She likes me for being carried around. The games I play with her I found on the Net. The first one was the finger under the blanket game one plays with cats if one is a little off-centre in the mind. The second cunning game is knocking down the mighty tower of blocks. I had bought some very fucking expensive soft blocks in one of the hugely-overpriced department stores in town. 600Baht for six blocks. That, ladies and gentlemen is 100 Baht each for a piece of foam with some plastic squares stitched on it. Yes, those stores are something else, and don't get me started on the cost of food! CHEESE! Anyway, I digress. Yes, young Grace loves to topple the tower of blocks I quickly construct before her.

I should say how hot it has been here. It has been unbearable, and I rarely complain about heat. We have spent days now in the air-con room lying on the mattresses, checking our Travian villages watching movies (The Jungle Book, Holy Smoke (Kate Winslet), Hornblower (TV series), One Foot in the Grave (Victor Meldrew) and various High Def nature docus I acquired from RS. The past couple of days it started to rain heavily after weeks of blazing heat. Yet, the temperature is yet to drop.

Been back to the BBC podcasts which are awesome as ever. So soothing listening to some guy talking about Chile or walking across a moor in England.

My exercises have slowed which is a disaster, but I am not drinking much beer. I will walk in the mornings at six before going to school at eight. I have been doing a 20 minute Yoga workout I have the DVD for which is good fun and I would highly recommend it.

Music, I got hold of lots of Santana, Stones, Traffic, Neil Young, John Cougar, Death In Vegas.

No comments: