music

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Broadwalk Empire

Hi all,

Over the Christmas hols I checked out some lists of best of 2010, as one invariably does. It's almost unavoidable. Yet, being in the back of beyond, this exercise does indeed prove beneficial. On the music front, I found a band called Best Country who seem rather good. I should add that most finds come mostly from the comments left by angry Guardian readers at the non-inclusion of the artist, rather than those recommended by the news dog journo. In fact, this is something of a failing in me. Any news article I tend to whizz through and somehow am more drawn to the readers comments. They are generally far more firery an ddirect, as well as being quicker to read and discipher.

Anyhow, I found some great new bands, aswell as The Breeders as suggested by Tom. Right now I have a busting hold full of new music that is breathing life into my Ipod dock. It was suffering for a time from crap music that I was all too familar with. There is nothing like hearing something new that can capture the imagination. So, here is to a breath of fresh air.
Where was I? Oh yes. Best of lists. Then by lucky chance on the IMDB site I stumbled upon a list of top 10 TV series of 2010. I did a quick scan through of their choicest recommendations. Annoyingly, one per page, forcing one to flip through 10 site pages to get the full list. Then, once again, like a bloated, tired moth, I scanned down to the user comments, and instantly lighted upon the TV shows that had been omitted, much to the fury of certain users. OK, now this series was mentioned, and I have downloaded a few first episodes of a few series (not knowing anything in Thailand, you understand), but I have been immediately hooked by one such program entitles, "Boardwalk Empire" with Steve Busemi. Set in the 1920s Atlantic city and Chicago, it follows a king pin hustler during the prohibition. Directed by Martin Scorcasce (?) no less, so far (about 4 episodes in) it is proving somewhat awesome, and I have been watching 2 episodes a night so far. I recommend this series to all and sundry for some getaway time out. It's good stuff.

Also worthy of note is the Hendrix 4 CD box set that I have previously mentioned called something like West Coast Kid or something similar. It is awesome at any rate and will occupy your interest I am sure.

Other than this, life has been fairly cosy and we await th everdict on Oi's visa to UK prior to buying some plane tickets.



No comments: