music

Saturday, January 22, 2011

The DUKE is Back

A fun night last night with Patrick, Tom and a new chap, Tony. Tony is about 26, and an American ex-soldier who fought in Iraq. He's a nice guy, chilled and friendly. Hopefully, he won't turn into a crazy like so many around here.

Patrick stormed out after we heard the neighbour beating a dog. I tried to explain that if he caused a problem over it, it would be Oi who would suffer as a result. But he was gone, off on his bike.

Tom, Tony and I partied into the small hours to the sounds of Neil Young, Morcheeba and the like.

I have a new docu on Neil Young which I will air for Tom's pleasure later in the week.

On the gameside, I am very pleased to see DUKE NUKEM is making a return after a 12 year absence. The most fun game ever. Check out the trailers if you want to know more. The game world has been very quiet of late. The dreadful Call of Duty Black Ops which, as one reader pointed out, will play itself. Requiring the gamer to just follow his buddies and not shoot anything. This game was very ugly; totally hectic and mad and giver of thumping headaches. I stayed with it for about 30 minutes before canning it.

I think we are on the tide of a bunch of new releases however, with Dead Space 2 about to arrive. Dead Space 1, one of the few games I actually bought with real money, is an excellent and very scary shooter, perhaps in the vain of the benchmark, System Shock 2, which brought so much joy clubbing deranged monkeys to death with a wrench. Mafia 2 was excellent, and I spy another 1920's free world gangster game about to come out. Hopefully my rig can take the new games without an upgrade. I just installed and hopefully will find time to play the prelude game to Drakensang The River of Time, called One Eye or something. This was an excellent RPG adventure and can recommend to any budding gamer.

Winding down at school now and things have been going well. I aim to leave my school this term and start at a new one, possibly teaching 9-11 year olds. Nothing wrong, I am just bored and want a change. Things with Phit going well as my assistant and we share quite a deep understanding of kids and how they can learn. We have 80-90% of our students reading to a high standard at age 6. The downside is that there is no reward for all this achievement, just the offer of another year of teaching. Fuck that, Sister. The fascist nuns have really failed to impress me and seem determined to continue treading in the dark ages, issuing students 4 hours of colouring homework every night.  This mindset of making people do pointless and labourious work for 23 hours a day is horribly entrenched in Thai, and probably Asian culture. Stuff like this which will see the ruin of Man.

Still clocking into In Our Time with Melvin and listened to a great show on Modern Utopias which was very searching. Others were on the Fisher King. Listening to these shows, I can sense that Melvin is looking for a higher truth or reason for existance. He became quite lost when the scholars could not answer his pleas for truth about the Holy Grail. They concluded it was just a story, and could not give him the answers he was desperately seeking. Still, interesting stuff.

I have been exercising with Patrick every day at the gym this past week. He has an excellent weight training system from his boxing days which we have been doing together. It is very tough, comprising of lifting heavier and heavier weight for less reps. We alternate this with vigorous swimming sessions. I do my 40 lengths. Patrick doesn't have the techique yet, though he is considerably stronger than I am. Still, I am shaping up and getting up to check up on Grace as she goes tearing out of the room, isn't quite as painful as it once was.

It has been quite tough with Grace lately and Oi has shown the strain. There is no relief and it is a 24 hour job. I will be glad when Grace is a little more inderpendant and will allow us some free time. On is definitely enough.

No comments: