music

Saturday, January 8, 2011

In Our Time - Complete Series

Well under way is my acquisition of this excellent series. The topics are widespread from Dark Energy to Angels, from Bohemia to Aztecs. It is a fantastic way to learn about something at the hands of some of the most knowledgable minds in the UK.

Yes, my brother is correct, when he states Melvin Bragg is known to be argumentative and I have heard a few examples of this, epecially in the recent program on the Industrial Revolution, which is excellent by the way.

So, before long I will have the entire collection of shows, ranging back to 2002. There was be over sixty of such programs, and I will be keeping them. I should also recommend them to others.

Also, of note, I have gained access to some of Alan Bennett's short films. They look like early 1970's. I watched one this morning enntitles Sunset Over the Bay about an old couple who move from Leeds to Morcoombe after the old boy retires. Fantastic kitchen sink stuff with extended views of the old dears staring out at the sea as they sit on their seaside bench seeing their time out. Cups of tea abound and old men and women staring at each other, saying things like, "Another cup of tea, dear?" or "It's nice out today, isn't it?" Beyond all this is the wondering what life is all about and the slow pain of growing old. And about a changing society and the bewilderment of the older generations at the new, it must be said. These plays are great because you can imagine many people finding them incredibly boring, the ordinariness of everyday life. And yet, there is always an underlying comic sadness about the existance many of us find ourselves in, and the wonders of small details.

Have a cup of tea and enjoy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Then I recommend a film of short stories called Paris, je t'aime. The Steve Buscemi one is awesome and my favourite one, which has that Alan Bennet feel, and which had me laughing out loud continuously involves an American woman on holiday in Paris. Enjoy at your leisure.