music

Saturday, October 13, 2012

The Farm

Yesterday was Sunday and we headed for the farm to visit Oi's family and to meet her brother Om in the temple. He has been there nine months now and no sign of quitting. Ironically after completely his time as a monk he is going to join the Mary and become a soldier as he drew the red card from the national lottery all Thai men must face. However, the family are quite pleased as it keeps him off the streets and away from the dangerous drug gangs that ensnare so much of the youth here.

It was a great day out and mum had a fun time. After, we all came back to the beach and everyone went swimming. Grace enjoyed a bathe with grandma Noi splashing about in the sea.

The resort has been a huge success. Mum has been very happy and we are all quite relaxed. The breakfast buffet is excellent and  I down about three cups of coffee every morning. By early afternoon I am ready for a beer and my chosen lunch is predominately tuna sandwich and French fries.

My mum loves the ereader and I put a bunch of books on it before we left Hat Yai. The ipad makes a great distraction for Grace when she starts turning into a monster. I just shout "Ipad!" And she rushes into the room to play quietly on the bed.


I have been thinking about the next six months and the big plan to move up here. We are long overdue this move and I am eager to start packing.

We will probably book our train tickets today and head back home on Thursday. Mum still hasn't done too much in Hat Yai yet, so we are not short of things to do. Meter taxis have just arrived there and are considerably cheaper than the usual extortionate tuk-tuks.  Predictably there was huge opposition to their arrival in the town by the money hungry mafia, but is means shopping trips are a hell of a lot easier for the likes of us.

I have had a great time talking to mum and try to remind myself to keep talking and to discuss all the subjects and ask all the questions I want to know about her life and our family. Actually, as I enjoy writing , I have become aware of the wonder of listening to other people to gain characters and insight for material to write about. Mum comes out with all sorts of things that would never occur to me and I suddenly find myself thinking that this phrase or idea would be great writing material. My own imagination is just too limited to dream up some of the things other people say. Mum has come out with some corkers during our time together here. Her pursuit of coffee and toast, gin and tonic and a nice place to stay is relentless. I am so glad it all came together in this place. The Thai treatment of animals has not gone down well however. Dead dogs by the roadside bring utterances that would put Thai society to shame and verbal Venom spewed forth as an unfortunate crab was captured on the beach and was dismembered to the glee of the natives. Having witnessed such acts for the past ten years poor treatment of animals is hardly enough for me to raise my head anymore. One becomes numbed to such things amid the dirt and general smelliness of the country.

Don is sending me messages again after he has stated he is to be staying with us in November. It will be good to see him as long as he respects the limits of my hospitality. Unfortunately I will be back in full work mode when he arrives so my attention will be strictly limited. I need to concentrate of raising cash now and preparing to relocate. I look forward to concocting some mean green juices with him however and adopting a very healthy diet over the next six months.



No comments: