music

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Sunday

Sunday morn and the joy of playing with young Grace in bed. There are so many babies about right now I cannot keep track. Anyway, word from Spain is that all is well and Mater arrived yesterday.

This weekend I did not hook up with the guys as, looking at Grace, I realised how quickly this time will pass so I must cherish every moment. I am aware though how fortunate my working hours are, so that I do spent more time with her than your average dad.

I had a notion to buy some land in the country then employ and work with an architect to build a house. A French chap here called Alex has done it for 1,000,000 Baht (300,000 for the land, 7 for the building). Anyway, it is mere fancy, pure folly.

Everyone thinks I am mad for wanting to live even further out of the town, but I love the Thai countryside and being surrounded by alien-looking plants and fruit trees. Also, the people are especially cute in the country. The thought of returning our garden to the owner of our current house is not a pleasant one (you have never met a lazier, more boring woman), but Oi has vowed to dig up every shrub and bush if and when we must move.

Such is the climate here that every time I try to watch a movie in this ever-growing backlog of films, I think that it would be much nicer to sit outside on the porch and gaze up at the leaves glistening in the sunlight. I should state however that I am in love with "Kingdom" with hero Stephen Fry as a town lawyer in Norfolk. Check it out. I was also thrilled to see there are three seasons, so the well won't run dry in a couple of days. I highly recommend his readings of Oscar Wildes children stories.

Mass Effect 2 is still amazing, but again, I have been falling under the desire to rush the game. I don't know how the programmers can get around this one.

I have also been thinking of acquiring a telescope. Patrick said they sell them in Carrefour. Might check it out one day.

Today, I promised Oi I would attend the village meeting. I note came through the door for local residents to meet the village chief, discuss problems and introduce new residents. Might be fun, as long as I don't get inundated with, "You can teach my son English" demands. It would be nice to know a few more people though.

Three weeks to the end of term. I have to write tests today and there are four English camps that we have to do as well. Smart English is still unfathomable, as thus, I treat it merely as a job. I was getting really bored a few weeks ago due to the limits of kindergarten teaching. But then I figured where else would I get to only work in the mornings.

1 comment:

Robert said...

That's funny. Have also been thinking of buying a plot up in the hills. Here, by law, you have to make a down payment of 30% of entire costs to builders, who then just disappear before even starting. So, everyone is getting log cabins that arrive on a truck. Need to be out of the city July August.