music

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Big Rain

Yes, the floods have come again and this year it looks like it could be quite big. There are huge floods up North which, strangely enough, have recieved little coverag ein the international press, but they are causing a lot of problems for the locals. Sadly too, it is the poor farmers who have suffered, the rich folks living on high ground, as they do.

Anyway, this means no school so I am excited about that and it means luxury time watching movies and chilling out at home.

I have been on a Stephen Fry bender these last few days and have found dozens of programmes on this new site warez-bb. I was sad to see him getting a lot of flak in the UK press today about his comments about women not enjoying sex. One thing to note about Fry is that he says a lot of things, numerous theories and possibilities he throws into the arena for debate. I have always found him to be very kind and very humble, even though he admits he is gifted with words. And I believe he is a great ambassador for encouraging people to educate themselves by reading "the classics", Wilde, Waughn etc and taking an interest in knowledge and not just the "X factor" type garbage that is consuming the Earth. Maybe he will have had enough and vanish after this latest hounding. I know from my own meagre experience that communicating with anyone involves risk that people will get upset by what you say and start a hate campaign. I feel that having a sibling gives you a resilence that means you have have a scrap and be best friends again the next day. I am sure brother and Colletts will recollect weekly fallings out, but in the end we resolved it was better to be friends. Recent skirmishes I have had find people very unforgiving and alienating over some very minor disagreement. Who knows?

The rain is still pounding outside and we are getting warnings of a spill-off coming to Hat Yai from Sadao. This can increase the depth very quickly. I may have to rescue my bike before too long. I have just burnt 1949 movie of Madam Bovery which may make it onto the TV this afternoon. Oi has just returned from a trip to the shops in the neighbours 4x4 to get some supplies; tuna sandwiches and crisps and cheapie hot dogs should see me through for a couple of days. Tragically, I have run out of real coffee and am now forced to drink garbage instant until weather permits. Something I swore never to do again. Evil Nestle has a stranglehold over Thailand. They are impossible to get away from.

I hear Tom is back from Indonesia having escaped volcanoes and tsunamis whilst he was there. I am sure the classroom is a far more dangerous place.

Time for another peek outside.

No comments: