music

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Jeff Minter

I don't believe it. On the ipad apps store i numbly type in random words to see what apps are about. Words like, beauty, alien, cave, combat, adventure....just to see what comes up.





Anyway, I was watching tv or something, I honestly can't remember, but I suddenly had the urge to type in llama. Not, that wasn't good enough. llamasoft, I retyped.

Up it came, in a flash.

I bunch of titles!

Woah!!!!

Gridrunner was there! a 1982 original! What the Hell is going on?

I clicked on a few, all of which had glowing reviews.

At 69p a pop, it ain't much of a risk. I downloaded 5.

Thet are amazing. It's like 1982 graphics, 2012 control.... and then some. Blocky spaceships explode into a zillion pieces, things shoot in and out of the screen, playing havoc with your retina. It has to been seen. But it's such a great job. I am so happy Jeff Minter is still out there.

As a boy I idolized him worshipping pieces of software like Revenge of the Mutant Camels and Anticipal. I even found his address and wrote to him. Upon which, I recieved a signed photo and best wishes letter. He lived in Basingstoke for fuck's sake!

But a hippy through and through. All his games were very trippy with goats and sheep floating around and very wierd. SO glad this dude's still on the planet, man.



If you want some homegrown fun....investigate.

No comments: