music

Friday, April 2, 2010

Bushmead Revisited

Bushmead was our old house in Rake, Hampshire, England. It was awesome. Not only did we have three groups of two brothers living in a triangle to each other (Wilsons, Colletts, Cornwalls) but our playground was an enormous forest stretching as far as the eye could see. Peter and I spent all our time exploring the forest, making camps, destroying other people's camps and killing ants. Yes, we were ant killers. Especially, when I returned home and before going to bed found one attached to my balls.

Anyway, so here I was, sitting in a pit of self-loathing, wondering why on earth I haven't done any exercise since being on holiday. And getting a wee bit tipsy every night. I must have reached rock bottom because this morning I set off up the road walking to burn off some fat-fat.

I was going to just walk up the road along past the expensive looking houses when I saw by lucky chance a path leading into the rubber trees. I took it. There began my incredible journey. Up a gradient through the shady trees. I met a man collecting rubber. You can go right to the top of the mountain he told me. By golly, I wanted to do it. But I didn't. I did however have an absolutely splendid walk through the plantation. Hilly terrain with streams and crevasses and little huts where the workers stay. Tomorrow I shall take my camera, so the screaming fans can appreciate it too. It really reminded me of way back in 1976 in Rake. In fact, as I think I have stated before, a lot about living in this present house reminds me of my childhood. And as I had such a great time, I am delighted that Grace can have a similar experience.

This plantation, which goes right to the top of the rear of the mountain that overlooks Hat Yai, will be my playground and it means I won't have to join some crummy gym and look at myself, with self-loathing, as I pant and sweat on some undersized bike or high-tech treadmill. This is so awesome. A wonderful discovery and the forest is quite breathtaking. Easily as good as anything else I have seen in Thailand and so, so very quiet.

Meanwhile, back to my village. Travian village, that is.

No comments: