music

Friday, April 23, 2010

Steel Girder Of Death

Nearing the start of the new term and hopefully I will resume morning classes and out by noon. I am hoping to fit in my morning walk before work at 6 o'clock which will be a good tonic and means I don't have to do it when I am fully conscious.

I don't have a very healthy attitude towards working right now. Everything comes down to money...blah, blah, blah and I just don't buy into that psychology.

I have kicked beer on the head quite well this week. I went for three days with no beer, then had a couple with Don the other night. We watched Bill Bailey's Cosmic Jam which was great fun. Since then I have refrained again and have been doing some fairly serious weightlifting in the garden. Great thing with sports is that even if one is fat one can instantly feel the force pumping through ones body even after the first session. So, although I may still be a fat arse, I feel great. Eating is not so good. I still enjoy sandwiches, cookies, coffee and stuff like that which does not help. Also, strangely, roids have come back after an absence of a few years. Hopefully, it will deflate and fade away, like a dying friendship.

I am back on the BBC radio podcasts and following Science in Action, One Planet and the rest of those shows. Great listening and sure does help one to relax.

The News seems to be working its way up to another climatic situation. 2010? Will it all kick off this year? Watching all the news about the stranded tourists set me to thinking about how much people do travel. I have never liked it, planes that is, yet sometimes one is forced to board the silver bird. But to many people they are constantly hopping on planes and zipping across a continent or two, and very comfortable with it at that.

One thing I observed when I was in England last is that the folks I met, who let's face it, enjoy the finer experience life has to offer in this world, seemed far less concerned about global matters that were bothering me. I found this strange, especially living in a country which is still coming out of the dirt, like Thailand. I concluded that the population are so surrounded by gadgets, gizmo's, designer outdoor gear and great quality goods to buy in the shops, that why would you want to question it. Enjoy it! Fly to China for the weekend? Sure. New car? Sure. The choices available have gone exponential.

I can still clearly remember my dad giving me for an early birthday present a Casio LED calculator. It was the main attraction in the house for years. These days amazing stuff is being released so frequently that one is lucky even to know of its existence.

I heard some lovely reports too of folks enjoying the absence of aircraft during the volcano ash scare. The peace, the quiet, the tranquillity Hey, that's a rare thing now, and it won't take them long to start up the engines again soon.

Heard another great interview about biotechnology and how close we are to incorporating computers to our brains (for instant access to information) and tiny machines that can repair and replace damaged organs and tissues from inside our bodies, thus prolonging life to a huge extent, unless of course you get struck by a steel girder or something.

No comments: