music

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Camp

Just got back from a 2 day English camp in Songkhla. It was a real laugh actually and I had a good time. There were 3 other Westerners, none of whom I know well; Ben (UK), Tom (UK) and Tony (USA). They are all about 10 years younger than me and were up for laughs. We had some beers in the evening and spent the day winding up the Thai teachers which is always fun.

The camp was set in a nature park with some interesting Mangrove swamps. There was a walkway through the swamps which we went around with the the kids. They were all teenagers about 16 years old. They did some fun shows in the evening, most of which centred around a gay boy who provided all the laughs.

Us four teachers all slept in a military style dormatory. After the dinner, we sneaked some beers in and the night was spent telling jokes and farting in true schoolboy style. I don't think I have experienced this kind of situation for many a year. It was a great laugh. We had a talcum powder fight and a farting competition. I won, of course. Actually, Tom said the reason for the potentcy, volume and sheer loudness of my farts was due to drinking tons of coffee and thousands of mints.

The Science Quiz the following day was a hoot too, when we asked over the microphone to the assembled teams of students, "What is the name of the gas that.....comes out of Tom's arse?". There were some bewildered looks from students and supervisors alike, until we changed it to, "...that keeps us alive?" Fortunately, the level of English is so low that I doubt anyone had a clue what we said, with the exception of quick-witted Pit and Gee.

Gee was at the camp and we exchanged stifled hellos. So sad to lose a friend, but it happens sometimes and seems inpossible to return to the old days. Just have to try not to upset people, which I seem so good at. Part of the reason I try not to make too many friends.

Oi and Grace are off to Bangkok tomorrow to get this blessed visa. I hope they will be okay and that Grace will be okay on the bus. Oi's brother will meet them at Chum Pon and continue with them to the capital. They will probably be gone about 3 or 4 days. After that, we have to buy the tickets.

Danny leaves for Aus on Monday, so there is quite a lot going on, and I sure we will get something going for Christmas. Several people have offered to cook a meal, which should be fun.

Grace is getting quite demanding these days and goes through a process of irritable barks and grunts until you find out what it is she wants. Iggie Piggle nearly always is a good last resort, but she does occasionally shake her head at the prospect of another episode.

More tests to write for tomorrow, then I suppose I shall soon have to don the old Santa outfit for the trillions of screaming infants at my school. Oh well!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gandhi said that a rift is a rift and there isn't much you can do about it.