music

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Home Alone

Oi and Grace are in Bangkok to get the visas for the UK trip. So far, Grace has been cool and had a good time in Chum Pon which lies halfway between Hat Yai and the capital.

Life at home has not been unpleasant. It's nice to have a little freedom now and again. It allows me to walk about with no clothes on, watch movies I otherwise have little chance of viewing at my leisure and to indulge in a little mid-week drinkiepoos. Each day I have picked up a few cans of Guinness, bought some lunch and crisps and enjoyed a fine meal, before settling down for the afternoon with a drink, some nuts and a game of Bejewelled 3, some music and a movie. I recall last time Oi went away, I watched a ton of movies that I collect and burn ceaselessly. It was a great achievement and sheer unadulterated pleasure. So far this week, I have watched, "The Ice Harvest", "The Apostle" and most of "101 Reykjavik" and "The History Boys". All have been most gratifying. I have also been ripping and ipodding some Echobelly and Paul Kelly CD's that are gathering dust and in danger of becoming unplayable, such is their age and condition.

I also noticed I have stopped my incessant sneezing fits since Oi and Grace have gone. Strange. Must be all those talcum powders and baby lotions constantly being applied.

Of course, I miss my little treasures, but it is fun to have some free space, for a space.

Christmas is fast approaching, and perhaps for the first time in a long while, I believe I am looking forward to it. Such is the life of a barren man. Now, with little Gracie to cherish, Yuletide has reclaimed its glean and charm. How sweet. I was telling Pit today that, for someone who doesn't really like Christmas since boyhood, I always seem to be in the thick of it, whether it be in a bustling toy department of a crammed and steaming department store, or dressed as Santa singing Jingle Bells countless times and throwing sweets to hundreds of scrambling children as I run about ringing my little bell. A bell, I should point out, that year after tedious year, becomes unscrewed from it's handle as I wave it about. When one is carrying a sackful of sweets, dancing some disco Christmas tunes to a wide-eyed audience of smartly dressed parents surrounded by a dozen little Santas and trying to re-attach a bell and its handle, is quite a feat to achieve. Somehow I have retained the elusive and much sought after skill.

Regarding world views, I am pleased to see the Italians up in arms against their mafia leader. What a disgrace, he is? I feel an air of the French Revolution as the teeming masses rise up against the gluttonous and greedy leaders. All of them have had it coming for a long time in my view and thanks to the Internet, their secrets are no longer safe. It's just my opinion, I hope folks will not be too offended for the way I see things.

Enough....game time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Marvellous. Could have been written by Mr Fry himself.