music

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Culture Overload

Yes, I must say, things are progressing.

Further research has uncovered a vast array of music and music videos. And, most importantly, it has triggered the long awaited resurgence of The Rolling Stones. Actually, this was a joint effort by myself and California Tom. We spent many hours discussing the brillance of Exile on Main Street, which led to a renewed interest in Mick and Keith. Since, then I have acquired a video of a concert at the Marquee in 1971, the 25x5 story and a bunch of albums; Through the Vaults Darkly, Outtake albums and a 1981 union with Muddy Waters. It is prolific! The Stones have never sounded better. And there were times I thought I could never listen to them again.

Other acquisitions include a BBC live video concert of the Kinks (1973), Thin LIzzy in Australia (1977) (Patrick loved this), and Bob Marley classic albums "Catch a Fire". There is more out there. Again, most of this is thanks to Rapidshare.

Alongside music, movies have taken a dramatic step forward. French movies dominate my daytime viewing with some absolute corkers. La Peau Douce is the best. A classic of a married man who has an affair with a beautiful air hostess. Another great one is Les Biches. About a rich woman who takes on a lowly beauty off the streets only to play cruel love games with her in her social circle in St. Tropez.

I have always loved French cinema and it's play on human emotions. I am still in early days of a vast quest of celluloid exploration. The Indonesian flick, "The Forbidden Door" is also awesome about an artist who exacts revenge on his wife, family and friends who have manipulated him for years. The "dreaded" scene is unbelievably brutal, and yet so compelling. Do watch this movie if you have an interest in film. The whole trip is very intriguing and, as i said, compelling.

There are others, but I must save them for another time, my darlings. Go seek. Go. Go!   

No comments: