music

Friday, April 22, 2011

Ebooks

I bit the bullet and rushed out to buy an ereader. I opted for the smaller Sony 350, and it seems to be great. Within minutes on the Net I had a handful of books installed to read; Heart of Darkness, Madam Bovary, Edward Lear...then I found a file on the top 20 New York Times current bestsellers (fiction and non-fiction), so I put some of those on it too.

Yes, it has encouraged me to read, something I have had a problem with now for many years, averaging about one book a year. Sister, Tish pointed out that with a physical book there are many variables that might affect how you read; paper quality, size etc. The ereader seems very user friendly and you can swop between books, resuming the last page read automatically. It will be a good thing in Thailand that's for sure.

Saturday today, and Mum and Tish leave for their cruise down to Spain. Nicholas has chronic gout and his foot is in agony. Poor chap has had one affliction after another since we have been here. Mum too, has been sick most of our stay.

This weekend is our last in UK. We are going to Henry's for tea today. Joel is due down and we may hook up with Darren too. We are yet to enjoy Harrow cider together.

Packing and our journey home is on my mind. We have to spend a night in dismal Woking in order to get the first bus to Heathrow the morning we fly out. We have a ton of luggage and not only do I not yet know if we can get it all back to Thailand without paying a fine. I noticed on the Net that to connecting flight in Thailand to take us to Hat Yai has vastly reduced luggage weight allowance compared to our main international flight. Not very helpful. At worst we may be forced to get the train to Hat Yai if we are presented with some astronomical fee.

Having gained 5 kilos since I have been here, and unable to stop drinking Old Speckled Hen, I am looking forward to light Thai meals and crap beer once again. Actually, I might try to knock beer on the head as it offers little pleasure and my best times are spent with Oi and Grace these days relaxing at home with the family. Friends are wonderful, of course, but I know I need to be a bit strict with myself if I want to keep fit and healthy, and I am very easily led when the boys come over to let the good times roll.

We have loads of UK goodies to enjoy back at home, and I am sure Oi and I will reflect a lot on the holiday we have experienced.

No comments: